August 18 - October 22 2017
An exhibition featuring the art and ideas of over 40 visual artists, filmmakers, sound artists, activists, performance artists and community organizers from around the world who are affecting change with their work.
THE BOX can be considered as the limitations of conventionality. BREAKING THE BOX or to think outside the box, is to explore ideas that challenge the prevailing current thought within a society and which are not limited or controlled by rules, tradition or an imposed narrative.
Amaryllis DeJesus Moleski, Bethany Matai Edmunds, Cannupa Hanska Luger, Cara Romero, Chip Thomas, Chris Pappan, Christi Belcourt, Demian DinéYazhi', Douglas Miles, Dylan McLaughlin, Esther Neff, Frank Buffalo Hyde, Freyr A. Marie, Ian Kuali'i, IV Castellanos, Jason Lujan, Jess X Snow, Jesse Hazelip, Kim Smith, Kimi Werner, Laakkuluk Williamson-Bathory, Lorianne 'Elle Seven' Hernandez, Marcia Crosby, Maria Hupfield, Merritt Johnson, Micah Blacklight, Micah ‘The Werewulf’ Wesley, Michael Two Bulls, Miyuki Baker, Monica Canilao, Nanibah 'Nani' Chacon, Nicholas Galanin, Patrick 'CLOUDFACE' Burnham, Raven Chacon, Razelle Benally, Rose B. Simpson, Sophie Rousmaniere, Tania Willard, Te Rawhitiroa Bosch, Thomas 'BREEZE' Marcus, Ursula Johnson, Valentina Gonzalez, Yatika Starr Fields
Co-curated by Ginger Dunnill and Cannupa Hanska Luger
Broken Boxes events at form & concept:
- Opening Reception | Friday, August 18, 5-8 pm
-Onsite discussion and public engagement with Winona LaDuke of Honor the Earth and film maker Keri Pickett, creator of First Daughter and the Black Snake
-Food provided by Earth Defenders Kim Smith and Makai Lewis
-DJ selections by 13pieces
-Multiple participating artists onsite
- Artist Celebration | Saturday, August 19, 2-5 pm
Live collective painting with participating exhibition artists including Douglas Miles, Nani Chacon, Micah Wesley, Yatika Starr Fields, Courtney Leonard, Rose B. Simpson, Frank Buffalo Hyde, Cannupa Hanska Luger, Freyr A. Marie, Cloudface, Kim Smith, Demian Diné Yazhi' and more. Live cut paper demonstration by Ian Kuali’i.
Collective live paintings/ and live cut paper work by Ian Kuali’i will be auctioned off with Honor the Earth following the Broken Boxes exhibition to support cultural practitioner and activist Pua Case with her crucial work in protection of the land and water.
This event is a celebration for the artists who have contributed their time and energy to the Broken Boxes exhibition and whose work continues to lift up our communities and sustain our growth and vibrancy as human beings. We acknowledge you and are grateful for your work, thank you!
- Gallery Talk | Sunday, August 20, 3-4 pm
-Curator talk with Ginger Dunnill and Cannupa Hanska Luger
-Podcast archiving/narrative talk with Ginger Dunnill of Broken Boxes & Sterlin Harjo of The Cuts
-Artist roundtable talk featuring Demian Diné Yazhi', Frank Buffalo Hyde, Courtney M. Leonard, Rose B. Simpson, Nani Chacon, Douglas Miles, Cara Romero, Ian Kuali’i, Yatika Starr Fields and more
- Catalog Release Party | Friday, September 29, 5-7 pm
- This exhibition was made possible in part by the Fulcrum Fund, a grant program of 516 ARTS in partnership with The Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts. This exhibition was also made possible in part by the National Endowment for the Arts. To find out more about how National Endowment for the Arts grants impact individuals and communities, visit www.arts.gov
- Broken Boxes Podcast would like to thank Blue Rain Gallery who represents Broken Boxes exhibiting artists Cannupa Hanska Luger, Chris Pappan, Thomas 'Breeze' Marcus and Yatika Starr Fields
- For more information contact email@example.com